Roman Forum 2006

Roman Forum 2006
Foro Romano, from the Palatine Hill - a favorite photo from one of my favorite cities

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cornwall: Penzance Day 1

Interesting that the last trip I am taking in England, after my near year in residence at our London Center, would be to Cornwall, that corner of the isle closest to the U.S. I don’t really want to return stateside for many reasons, but of course I must, part four or five or however you count it in la vita di Dottore Gianni must be faced. So in part this trip includes Land’s End (which I’ll see later this morning), the point that is the farthest west in England is to look toward if not necessarily forward to my return, and to the beginning of the next phase.

Another partial reason for the journey is to take a very short cut between points on the UK national trails, from John o’ Groats in the north to Land’s End in the south. 
John o' Groats, last stop on mainland U.K.
Many people have taken this entire journey on via bicycle, some even by foot, as a personal challenge, for charity, or just for the hell of it. Faithful readers will remember that one of my very first travel adventures on this long stay in the U.K. was my Highland Fling, which took me to John o’ Groats, last stop on the mainland U.K. and beyond, to the Orkney Islands. Of course I took that trip by coach from Inverness, not on my own two feet. And today I’ll be driven in a minivan to Land’s End. While hardly an ordeal to be proud of, having gone in a way from John o’ Groats to Land’s End whilst I was heredoes give me some sense of this sceptred isle from tip to toe.

And last, but I don’t think least, I have been trying to get to Penzance since the 
very beginning of 2012. Admittedly I have concocted a fantasy Penzance for myself, thanks to a team named Gilbert and Sullivan, 

"For I am a pirate king!
And it is, it is a glorious thing
To be a pirate king!"

which the real town can't possibly live up to, but after two failed attempts and nearly five months later I’m here, and while I’m not feeling all that piratical, the third time is the charm; that goal (take whichever reason listed above, mix them together, or invent another) is accomplished!

But to the trip! Yesterday was one of the more miserable I’ve seen in England, cold, wet and windy. It was miserable merely to trudge from ICLC to the Gloucester Rd tube stop! After that I was indoors all the way into my rail coach, 
and settled in for a five hour jaunt from London to Penzance, from the beginning to the end of that particular rail line, which is known as the Cornish Riviera. I was in Coach A, a “quiet carriage,” one I choose whenever possible, as the silence is generally respected and it’s quite a peaceful ride. On this particular trip the coach was not at all crowded, so that helped as well. And of course I carried my trusty ipod Nano, whose battery never seems to run down, so I listened first to Vivaldi, then to Corelli (Corelli for Cornwall – the musical title of my trip) and finally to Granados’s Goyescas as played brilliantly by Alicia de Laroccha.

The weather on the journey however was miserable, miserable, miserable! I’m reminded of the former channel 5 (U.K.) weather lady, a skinny, stringy-haired blonde, who used to start nearly every forecast with, “Hallo…well…it’s going to ba another miserable day…” and she took the key word “miserable” very slowly and making sure she took time on every syllable. She put on her best smile but her intonation was mournful. Come to think of it, most days weren’t so bad, after you'd been given that as a prognosis, so she may have been doing us all a favor!
Devon countryside from the train
But the weather yesterday lived up or down to that forecast! It rained as we stopped at Reading, at Exeter, then as we railed it through Devon (though even rain cannot keep those green fields from sparkling) all the way to Plymouth, where patches of blue and every once in a while a wee bit of sun appeared, dodging the raindrops. So as we entered Cornwall, just beyond, I had hope that the day would improve. As we rode on into Cornwall…the rather fast train up to Plymouth turned into a sort of slow milk run after, stopping every ten to twenty minutes at villages where very few people got off and often as not no one got on…the weather began to promise the possibility of not completely soaked strolls around Penzance.
The green fields of Cornwall
if you look VERY close you can see a small
patch of blue - really!
Then we stepped off the train, and just as we did the skies open and it poured! 
You’ve never seen so small a station packed with so many just arrived passengers, none of whom had any intention of leaving, as they would surely have been drowned trying! Fortunately it was a short burst only (they have a term for it here, sharp showers, and it’s accurate) so I was able to leave the station after probably less than five minutes. While for a moment or two I pondered how to get to the street on which I’d be staying – Market Jew Street (!) I looked in the only two reasonable directions – the station is just at seaside so I knew that way was not an option, nor was going back to where we’d come in from – and as I looked I saw not the street sign, but my very inn! The Longboat, a pub and restaurant that boasts 20 rooms above, and exceedingly close to the rail station.

I immediately checked in, along with two or three other damp passengers from the same train, and immediately left again as I saw one or two patches of blue in the otherwise foreboding sky. And took a stroll around the town. I walked up Market Jew Street first. Okay – stop! Market Jew??? Apparently it comes from the Cornish phrase “Marghas Yow” meaning “Thursday Market,” and indeed, at one end of the street stands Market Hall. Still…
Market Hall at the top of Market Jew Street

I had a map printed off by the nice fellow that checked me in to the Longboat, but very few street names were in evidence as I walked along the roads, so I wandered somewhat aimlessly, and what I wanted to find I could not. Except for the water! 
Strong waves striking the coast at Penzance
I walked down along the waterway, but the waves were whipping up so high against the walkway that I would have got instantly drenched instead of slowly soaked as I was becoming from the light drizzle that persisted after the opening of the heavens on my arrival. I thought I might try to walk in the direction of nearby Newlyn a place described to me as a charming and authentic fishing village just down the coast, when I noticed the rain getting more and more persistent, then falling hard, so I raced back to a place that looked overpriced but which featured a view of the sea.

I’m sorry to say that except for the view the Renaissance Café was far from exceptional. It WAS overpriced, and also offered the worst scones I’ve ever tasted! I had their afternoon tea, and fortunately was able to work the scones over with so much clotted cream and strawberry jam that I was able to forget just how awful the scones themselves tasted. The view, however, includes one of the most unique
St Michael's Mount in the distance
geological formations in Cornwall, known as St Michael's Mount. This is a tidal island in the harbor, accessible by walking about 400 yards to it, BUT only at low tide. Don't push it as the tide can rush in and you could find yourself very much stuck if you get too late a start walking back to the mainland. This may remind the reader of St Michael Mount's more famous counterpart in France, Mont St Michel, which is also tidal, is of a similar shape, even has the same name. A chapel to St Michael and a castle are features of the island. I knew that I'd not have time to actually get to take the walk to the Mount, so I was happy to get a view of it, if only from across the water. And the Renaissance Café had provided me shelter from the storm, which abated as soon as I sat down and ordered.

By the time I had finished my tea the sky began again to look very grim, so I gave up, went back to the Longboat, diddled with some photos I’d taken and, after watching the evening news, went downstairs and ate there. That meal was a bit of a disappointment too, particularly as what I chose, the fish and chips, was described as being just caught that morning (the fish, not the chips) and that featured their homemade batter. However it was pretty much all batter and very little fish. What fish was there was fresh but as bland as butter, but the pint, Doombar, a Cornish ale, which, while the name sounds terrifying, like a grade C- sci fi flick or a really awful metallic rock band, tasted very nice.
Tiepolo clouds?
If not those clouds, could these read Tiepolo?
Note on the far right the surf still slamming against the shore
And the weather had picked up, so I took a walk around sunset – never saw the sun, but there was a good bit of lovely Tiepolo cloud action. I began to find places I'd been told about but had not found in my drizzly walk earlier in the day; 
most importantly Chapel Street, on which the Turk's head, the oldest pub in Penzance, is situated, and which has a number of charming and artsy shops along it, as well as another pub that reminds me of pirates, though not those of Penzance. The Admiral Benbow is just down the street from the Turk's Head (and a bit down in quality as well, from what I'm told), but the mention of that name brings Long John Silver of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island to mind insstantly, as I'm sure it does with you as well! "Jim! You and me's got to sign arcticles, Jim!" "A-har!" In any case, that walk was by far the best part of the day, and boded well for a possibly nicer following day, which I'll admit would not have been difficult. On my way back I picked up a pint in a shop, some crisps, and went back upstairs about 9 pm.
The Admiral Benbow
Day two? I'll leave you in suspense on that for a bit, but rest assured, it's coming to a blog near and well known to you very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment